The performance caliber of a high-end audio system begins and ends with the AC that feeds it, making AC distribution one of the most impactful upgrades in hifi. With the new QBASE Reference, Nordost has now developed a power product that matches the caliber of their most preeminent cable ranges. The QBASE Reference is a multifaceted, reference-level AC distribution unit that operates as a filter-less alternative to power conditioners, delivering pristine power to audio components, without imparting its own sonic characteristics on systems or limiting AC current.
For years, the hifi community has been misdirected into thinking that the only way to protect sensitive electronics from power fluctuations, electrical noise, and “dirty” power is through power conditioning. But at what cost? Power conditioners are a semi-redundant solution which hinder more than enhance audio performance. The same in-line power technology that allows a power conditioner to reduce noise simultaneously limits bandwidth, compresses dynamics, and contributes to sonic confusion. These are compromises Nordost refuses to make.
Always searching for a solution, Nordost turned to its own QRT products, a family of transformative, parallel power products designed to eliminate noise, enhance dynamics, and bring cohesion to performance, while preserving an unimpeded AC path to system components. It was within those already highly acclaimed ideas that the jumping-off point for the QBASE Reference was conceived; the apex of Nordost’s already lofty accomplishments in the realm of AC power.
At its core, the QBASE Reference, like Nordost’s other QBASE units, is a passive distribution component that uses star-earth topology to address the noise-inducing, conflicting flow of signal and ground paths within a hifi system. However, that’s just the beginning of what the QBASE Reference has to offer. This 10-outlet AC distribution unit offers numerous Nordost technologies within its mechanically tuned, extruded aluminum chassis, in order to bring a new realm of power optimization and audio refinement to your reference system.
QBASE Reference features include:
- Star Earth Topology provides ground separation for all of the devices it serves, allowing stray voltages and eddy currents to be referred to one, central, ground point.
- Specialized PCB design offers symmetrical Live/Neutral Topology as well as separate grounding (with Voltage directionality technology).
- Multiple, internal QSINE and QWAVE devices can be tailored to the listener’s preference and the system’s specific needs. The QWAVE technology manipulates the sine wave by sampling the AC signal and inserting a series of pulsed frequencies back into the AC line to tame harmonics and overtones. QSINE technology enhances the AC signal by introducing a frequency field onto the circuit path that removes noise from the sine wave through a process similar to dithering.
- Specifically optimized and modified QPOINT technology impacts both the PC boards and QSINE/QWAVE technology within the QBASE Reference, imparting an increased synergy between all internal elements, which enforces audible sonic cohesion.
- Dual Primary Earth design allows for an optional, additional, switch-activated Primary Earth in setup scenarios that include dual mono preamps that use dual power cord inlets, to avoid different ground potentials on both channels.
- Internal, solid core Micro Mono-Filament wiring throughout the device, increases transmission speeds.
- Pre-QKORE ground design provides a completely separated ground path that leads to and directly complements the LVAP technology housed inside the QKORE.
- Resonance control Sort support feet are four modified Sort Füt units, which work in perfect synergy with the mechanically-tuned chassis of the QBASE Reference, draining vibrations from the electrical and mechanical aspects of the device.
The QBASE Reference is designed to conquer the imperfections and unpredictability of the AC signal, making it the ultimate solution for achieving unprecedented audio purity. Introducing it into your system will allow you to hear your music as it was intended to be experienced, without compromise.